Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Back Off My Bagel!


I've never been groped in a bagel shop before, but until today I had never been in an East Harlem bagel shop. But now I've had both. A good bagel. And a good groping.

A Harlemite tipped me off to a bagel place that is a solid 15-minute walk from my apartment. It's on 119th and First Avenue, and is aptly named "Bagel Plus." I was beaming when I saw the sign outside, but when I got inside the store my optimism quickly faded. The owner behind the counter was surly at best. He answered my questions with grunts. In business 15 years. Makes and sells two kind of bagels (plain and cinnamon). Will run me 40 cents each (one-dollar with cream cheese).

While I stood at the counter deciphering his responses, I felt fingers moving up and down my behind. I spun around and found a man ogling my ass. "Get the hell off me," I said to a haggard-looking 50-something man.

"You're pretty," he said staring into my eyes, his hands coming in for a second go-round.

I thought about reasoning with this guy for about a half second and decided my best course of action was to grab my bagel and leave. Immediately. So I did, understanding all too well what the "plus" in the East Harlem bagel shop was all about.

I called my bagel tipster friend and told him what had happened.

"That's how they roll here," he said laughing. I was only mildly amused.

My dough with a hole has been tainted and I'm feeling even more desperate for a fresh (read: clean) Harlem bagel than ever before. But this is not how my bagel is going to roll, dammit. In my time of need I'm turning to Craig to see if his folks can help me out. Click here for the master bagel plan...

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Elderta said...

I've been groped before, too. Once you get over the initial shock, you want to punch them. And then if you say something, you're a stuck up bitch. What a world.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

read about this on curbed and having to walk 15 minutes for a good bagel isn't right. sorry about the groping and hope you've recovered????????????

11:00 AM  
Blogger Fresh said...

dannnnnnngggggggg

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been groped, but I want to be. Only by a hot chick though. Mmmm... hot chick groping.

Seriously though, that's whack. My wife has had run in's with gropers as well, although never when I'm around. *knocks on wood. I'd hate to go to jail for beating the sh*t out of someone for coppin' a feel on the Mrs.

I'm down to open a shop. We've actually talked about it. Will let you know what turns up.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a reporter at a major NYC daily and saw your blog from a link on Gothamist.

Did you file a police report? If so, I'd like to talk to you and anyone else who has encountered problems at this establishment.

Please contact me at 646-792-8029 if you'd like to talk.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Rachel Natalie Klein said...

Just to clarify:
No ass-groping was done by any of the employees of Bagel Plus. The groper was some random guy standing in line for a cup of coffee.
Bagel

8:20 PM  
Blogger Elderta said...

Random Ass Grabbers... kinda sounds like a band. Hey, check out Holla Back New York...
http://hollabacknyc.blogspot.com/

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know where you live but Absolute Bagels on Broadway and 107th is worth the trip. Best bagel I've had -- and I've never been schmeared there.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if he "ogled" your ass, how is it possible that you felt it? i think you mean he "fondled" your ass. maybe you liked it? i think i will visit this bagel shop, in hopes that you show up so i can both "ogle" and "fondle" your cute little matzo-ball ass.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nasty man,

She said she got ogled after he went in for the goods. The timeline of groping events is outlined in the post.

Shame on you.

Poppy Seed

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poopy Seed,

I'll see you at Bagels's Plus this weekend, where I'll gladly pop my seed in you. After I ogle your ass, of course.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Library Hopper said...

Ms. Klein,

I have two words for you as to why East Harlem between 100th and 120th Streets won't be significantly improved as a neighborhood anytime soon: housing projects.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bagel Girl,

I don't understand this post one bit. I've been going to this place for years and have never encountered any of the horrible things you speak of in this post.

For one thing, there are more than 2 kinds of bagels at Bagel Plus-I know this because they have SESAME which I don't seem to see on your list.

As for the surly man behind the counter, I've never seen him either. He usually has a flock of amazingly cool young women working behind the counter and they have great service and people skills.

The things you have described about this place make me question whether or not you were really in there and the truth behind your post...that's quite sad, bagel girl...sad indeed

I'm sorry you were groped-nobody likes that kind of bad behavior, but you should think before you blast a vendor like that.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He'd heard you were coming! Ha!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home