Monday, October 30, 2006

Fat-Ass Bagel

No matter how much yoga, jogging and Fresh Direct I do, a new study reports that I'm fat and lazy. It seems East Harlem residents have cornered the Manhattan market on obesity.

"We know about one-fifth of all New Yorkers are obese," said Cari Olson, a research scientist at the Bureau of Epidemiology Services. "That is as low as 1 in 10 people on the Upper East Side and as high as 3 in 10 in East Harlem. Those are major disparities and the condition is rising."

And the news gets worse. East Harlem has the highest smoking rate and the highest death rate in the borough--1,084 per 100,000 people.

This report breaks my bagel. I've written about this subject before and while it may not be altogether popular with the locals, we've got a serious problem here.

I'm sick of hearing that if I walk 10 blocks I can find some healthy food to stock in my fridge. There needs to be good, inexpensive, healthful food all over this nabe--it is everywhere else in Manhattan. I recognize that making healthy food easily accesible is but one solution to a much larger problem, but I figure if there is money available to help bring a bowling alley here, why not financial help for small businesses that are good for peoples health?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there should be a ban or fine on any fastfood resturants coming into e harlem. the city is considering stepping into ALL restaurants to control how food is prepared to keep it healthy. so maybe Government then should step into the situation here because it's very poor and obviously getting much worse

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bagel, you a big fatass

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Late info: There's a conference on obesity tomorrow (Thurs. Nov. 2) 9 a.m. at Mount Sinai. I think exact address is 2-26 E. 120th bet. 5th and Madison.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home