Monday, February 06, 2006

Bagel in El Barrio


This bagel business is making me batty. Ever since I moved to East Harlem this past summer, I’ve searched high and low for a fresh bagel. Although there are a handful of bakeries, coffee shops and bodegas near my apartment, none of them sell bagels. Donuts, cornbread and muffins we have; bagel we do not. Each weekend, I feel obligated to inquire with the store managers about the bagels’ whereabouts.

“Not yet,” they say as they see me coming.

Today, however, I made some headway. I stopped into the BOMA Coffee & Tea Company, an upscale establishment on the corner of 126th Street and Fifth Avenue. The café director, Milo Meed, informed me that he was looking into bagel recipes. It seems he and his staff is considering making bagels from scratch and selling them in his café. I was stunned.

I’ve always thought that bagel-making runs in ones blood; that it’s nothing short of an art form. In fact, in the early 1900s a group of New Yorkers formed Bagel Bakers Local #338. It was an exclusive group of 300 craftsmen. At the time, it was said that it was probably easier to get into medical school than to get an apprenticeship in one of the 36 union bagel shops in New York City and New Jersey.

After Milo told me his intentions, I picked my jaw up from the ground and thanked him. Who knows? Maybe he and his team will create the next big thing - a bagel that fills the belly of East Harlem. I’m hungry just thinking about it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel Rachel. Good bagels are hard to find in Madison too. This is so cool that you have a blog!! Mine seems so juvenile in comparison.
Love, Ryan

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the Deli on NW corner of 127th and Lenox

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live on 5th and 116th. There are bagels at the following east/west harlem spots. No comment on quality, but then most of the bagels you get in New York are cr_p anyway.

Dunkin Donuts.
Harlem Tea Room, Madison/118th. Was getting H&M bagels a while. Haven't checked lately.
Settepani. Sigh, they make their own. Rather they'd buy them in.
Fine Fare, Lenox/116th. They got 'em here. Taste like supermarket bagels.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha.. this is too funny! and true! I have also searched for a bagel in harlem... and have come up empty. My roomies and I often joke and call them "el barrio bagels." they just taste different.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

There are a few things that are hard to find in East Harlem outside of the larger grocery stores. For example, anything but whole milk (2%, skim) is difficult to find in most bodegas. But, we are blessed with many choices of mango, avocado, Goya products, and reggaeton CD's. I guess I'll take that over the 1% milk I love.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live on 127th too -- if BOMA gets good bagels I'll be there everyday! I second the vote. I refuse to get one from Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks does sell some for $.75, but they come with prepacked philly cream cheese. I also hope a decent sandwich place comes into town soon. One good deli could solve both of these cravings :)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Library Hopper said...

Hate to ruin your day, but check out this webpage:

http://167.153.150.32/RI/web/detail.do?method=detail&restaurantId=41101577&inspectionDate=20060719

8:39 PM  
Blogger Library Hopper said...

P.S.

or this site:

http://167.153.150.32/RI/web/index.do

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home