Friday, February 03, 2006

Tough Times


The time has come to get my badass on. It’s late, it’s dark and I’ve just gotten off the subway at 125th Street and Lennox Avenue. It’s time to let the smack talk fly and walk the walk of one badass woman.

It took a move to East Harlem to discover that I had it in me. My sensibilities as a woman have generally directed me to smile demurely and tread lightly through my environs; stepping to a beat more Jerry Garcia than Eminem.

Thoughts of artist Juelz Santana pop into my head. He’s recently announced that he’s going to “rip 125th [Street] up” with his new HipHopSodaShop. I’m unclear on the specifics of exactly what ripping it up entails, but I like how it sounds. “I could rip things up a bit,” I think to myself as I spot a group of young men in the distance congregating outside the shuttered Rite Aid drug store.

The closest I’ve ever come to ripping things up was in high school, when a redneck named Jolene wanted to rip me up because she didn’t like my face. I avoided that confrontation at all costs, namely by hiding in the girls' bathroom until Jolene found some other girl to rip up and ultimately got expelled from school.

“What’s up snowbunny,” one of the boys in front of the pharmacy says coyly, jolting me out of my Indiana daydream and back to the streets of Harlem. “The usual shenanigans,” I say coolly. "You having a good night?”

“We are now,” he says.

And then the smack talk spews forth:

“You can’t let that nonsense get you down,” I say, stopping for a moment to look at him intently.

“That’s right woman,” he says understanding that I’m saying nothing but am ballsy enough (or stupid enough) to smack talk this smack talker.

I tell him to stay out of trouble as I walk past him and his posse. It feels good to throw my shoulders back and walk purposefully; to feel tough in a way that extends beyond any mental or physical strength I’ve known. Perhaps it’s part of a reinvention of self that comes with the territory that I find myself living in. Or maybe the badass in me has always been lurking - looking for a place like 125th street to come out. As I make my way home, I pull the belt of my wool coat tighter around my waist, and tug at my ponytail holder to let my hair down.

3 Comments:

Blogger afrohomo said...

hey, discovered your blog from curbed... I currently attend school in Indiana and plan to move to East Harlem (hopefully, around the 125th subway station) in May after graduation.

I enjoy your blog. Well written and interesting. Keep it up!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I too was proud of myself when I realized I could walk the walk and talk the talk. I manage to have a response to most of the following -- "Eehhh, Mami!", "What's up snowflake? Welcome to Harlem, honey.", "Look at that ass.", and "Como estas, mamacita? Que linda!" If nothing else, it's a chance to get talk to someone new. Something that doesn't happen as often in the anonymity-prone downtown neighborhoods.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The usual shenanagins"?? In Harlem? For real?

I lived in Harlem while I was going to college. In my Godmother's convent on 135th St. I was never bothered. But..... Walking the walk does not involve the word "shenanagins".

Enjoy the neighborhood. My godmother now lives on 124th bet. 5th and Mad. and I visit often. I'll be on the lookout for a bagel "walking the walk"!!
Jane

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home