Tuesday, March 07, 2006

New Angle On The Bagel?


As I wander my East Harlem neighborhood in search of a fresh bagel, there’s news today that I’m looking at the bagel from the wrong angle.

Certainly the bagel has evolved in the 30-some odd years that I’ve been tracking its whereabouts; it’s generally gotten bigger in size and the bagel’s rise in popularity is evident by all those clamoring to be close to it: the raisin, the chocolate chip; even the jalapeno pepper wants to get in on the bagel party.

But now, it seems, there’s a new bagel boiling and it’s causing quite the doughy uprising here in El Barrio (I’m uprising). A new line of square-shaped bagels has hit the market. Thomas' has launched a product they refer to as “Square Bagel Bread.”

I haven’t brought myself to try one, but I researched it and the squagel isn’t getting good reviews. One blogger wrote:
“It sucks on a level that goes above and beyond what I have come to expect from the bread-aisle bagel.”
The only new angle I’m taking away from the square bagel is that my old faithful – Lender's – isn’t looking nearly so bad...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer cupcakes. Cupcakes are made fresh, go great with coffee, and are often as sweet as this Bagel blog. I do, however, enjoy a warm bagel watching CBS Sunday Morning. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow, you did quote me.
i thought someone was just being a jackass.
obviously, this internet needs to be stopped.

-patboyx

(there are jews in Indiana?)

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best bagels I ever had actually came from Maryland believe it or not. LOL Warm bagels that were toasty outside and just the right texture of chewy inside smeared with cream cheese accompanied by a hot cup of coffee with the sunday paper! Ah man...that was usually my Sunday!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home